The best way to avoid Overdraft and bounced-check fees is to keep your checking account balanced so you don’t overdraw it.
- Know how much money you have in your checking account by keeping your account register up-to-date. Record all checks when you write them and other transactions when you make them. And don’t forget to subtract any fees.
- Record all transactions, including ATM withdrawals and fees, debit card purchases, and online payments.
- Don’t forget about automatic bill payments you may have set up for utilities, insurance, or other recurring payments.
- Keep an eye on your account balance. Remember that some checks and automatic payments may not have cleared yet. You may set up alerts in online banking that will notify you via e-mail of your daily balance, when your balance drops below an amount you specify, and when a check has cleared.
- Review your account statements each month.
- Use our free services, online banking and FlashTalk telephone banking, 205-327-2328 or 1-800-524-6546, to check your available balance at any time.